Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Kill your TV.

Or kill yourself watching TV.

And listening to the radio.

And watching a movie.

Because frankly, the mainstream is dead, quality-wise.

Because a lot of famous artists nowadays care about two things and two things only: getting rich and getting famous. I'm sick of all the half-assed, pathetic excuses for movies, music and TV nowadays. A lot of them are tacky and cliche. It's like it doesn't matter anymore to them whether or not the work is critically acclaimed or not. As long as they're rolling in the Benjamins, they don't see any reason to complain.

I'm jealous of the teenagers who came of age in previous decades. Whether they knew it or not, what they were watching on TV or in the cinemas, or listening to on the radio or on their players, was magic. It was always something new, fresh, edgy, meaningful. Whether it was Frank Sinatra or Nirvana, Sleeping Beauty or Back to the Future, Happy Days or The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, there was always something new around the corner, waiting to be discovered. Something true, something intimate, something made with love by someone who intended to spread his message, however controversial, to the world, and say, "This is my world, my voice, my identity, and fuck you if you can't handle me."

And yet here we are, in the year 2000. An age upheld by the four pillars science, technology, capitalism and consumerism. The humanities are dying a slow and painful death, and no one's doing a damn thing about it. I'm sick of The Jonas Brothers. I'm sick of Hannah Montana and Zoey 101. I'm sick of Avril Lavigne, of Simple Plan, of mainstream Fall Out Boy and Pete Wentz marrying probably the second biggest poseur on the planet, Ashlee Simpson. I'm sick of Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie. I'm sick of scripted reality shows. I'm sick of crunky rap. I'm sick of sell-outs. I'm sick of scenesters. I'm sick of poseurs. I'm sick of mediocrity. I'm sick of people with inferiority complexes and over-inflated egos wanting to be famous. I'm sick of anorexic/bulimic models. I'm sick of cheese and shallow things.

I just wish we could all go back to a time and place when everything wasn't so fake. When everything was full of substance. When everyone did things out of love and not for the money. Fuck the mainstream.

I'm going to bed. Wake things up when the scene isn't dominated by losers.

2 comments:

duey.guison said...

Yup you are right Irv. Nowadays, there seems to be a lack of creativity and fresh ideas in the field of media, both tv and music. Music nowadays even suck, so is Tv. that's why I rarely watch tv these days and listen to old songs on my ipod . . . consumerism has owned media

Anette said...

i must say that i totally agree with you...
like your blog, been reading it everyday, and i hope you will keep on writing